Workforce Development

Mission Statement

The Workforce Development Department of Lamar State College-Orange provides non-credit learning opportunities for the community as well as customized training programs to meet the needs of local businesses and industry.

Our classes are open to everyone and our commitment is to increase our students' knowledge and skills needed for their current jobs and preparation for future career advancement.

We also assist businesses in attaining grants and other forms of funding to offset the cost of training. Numerous funding programs exist and we will help you find the one that best fits your business.

Online Courses

Online Health Careers Classes from Health Ed Today: These courses are highly interactive and provide students with an enriched learning experience. Each course was developed to ensure that students gain the necessary skills to excel in a professional health care environment. Additionally, these programs include access to an online community with interactive content and robust student services.

Each course includes:

• 24/7 instructor support and course mentoring
  • Online health care content that supplements each course
  • Student and instructor collaboration
  • Engaging labs, student exercises and course videos
  • Additional labs and animated simulations
  • Student pre and post assessments and online performance tracking
  • National and state certification opportunities
  • A secure Student Portal which includes: career guidance, resume writing and other career resources
  • Other online tools that will enrich each students experience

The following courses are available anytime:

• EKG Technician
  • Dialysis Technician
  • ECG/EKG Courses for Nurses

For additional information, please contact Health Ed Today at 1-888-574-6218.

Online Instructor-led Classes from Ed2Go: Highly interactive courses taught by expert instructors, many of whom are nationally known authors. The on-line courses are affordable, fun, fast, convenient, and geared just for you. Courses begin the second Wednesday of each month, run for six weeks and consist of 12 lessons. The lessons are supplemented by interactive quizzes, assignments, and online discussion areas.  All materials will be available to you over the Internet.

Courses include:

• Accounting Fundamentals
  • Intro to Microsoft Excel 2010
  • Creating Web Pages
  • Grammar Refresher

Online Career Training Programs from Ed2Go: Instructor-facilitated courses available anytime, anywhere. All you need is a web-enabled computer and a desire to learn skills that will prepare you for a new career or update current skill sets. And even though you won’t be in a traditional classroom setting, you won't be on your own. A team of available online professionals, anytime scheduling, and educational textbooks combine to give you a relevant, interactive learning experience. Courses include Healthcare/Fitness, Business/Professional, IT/Software Development (Microsoft and CompTIA Official Curriculum), Media and Design, Skilled Trades/Industrial, Sustainable Energy and Going Green. Courses include:

• Digital Arts Certificate
  • Certified Wedding Planner
  • Certified Mediator
  • Video Game Design and Development

Online Classes from JER Group: JER Online lists over 1000+, cost affordable, non-credit Continuing Workforce Courses and Certificates. No ordinary courses-JER Online courses and certificates are industry developed. They are cost affordable. This means that you are going  to have access to the same e-learning that business and industry uses for their employee training.

• Start anytime or on a fixed time schedule
  • Access your course anytime from anywhere for fast completion
  • JER Online offers discounted pricing for employee group enrollments
  • As an extra added value and bonus, students will have 1 year access to their online courses, post course completion (applies to self-directed corporate developed courses only)

For more information contact:

LSC-O Workforce Development

Program Manager, Amy Moore

506 Green Ave. (office)

410 Front St. (mail)

Phone: (409) 882-3321

Fax: (409) 882-3383

Email: amy.moore@lsco.edu or joanie.tandberg@lsco.edu